First Baptist Church was organized in Wilmington in 1808. It was originally established as Front Street Baptist Church as the meeting house was located on South Front Street near the corner of Ann Street. After starting several other Baptist churches in the city, the name was changed to First Baptist.
The congregation began construction of the current sanctuary at the corner of Market Street and Fifth Avenue in 1860. The Civil War and its residual effects delayed completion of the building for ten years. The sanctuary was dedicated to the glory of God in May of 1870. The architecture of the building is early English Gothic with large arches and two spires. –READ MORE–